Saturday, August 9, 2008

The Last Operation Frontline Class

This morning was my last Operation Frontline class at the Ward 8 farmers market in Anacostia. The theme for the last class with other OFL lessons is usually something along the lines of “healthy baking,” but since we only have a single burner the ability to bake anything was nonexistent. So instead we made fruit smoothies and pancakes! I am a firm believer that this world would be a better place if people only ate more pancakes, so it seemed like a fun and delicious was to end the class.

The fruit smoothies were simply a mixture of ice, fruit, milk, yogurt, and a little bit of honey. We used two bananas, and a couple peaches, apricots, and nectarines. My favorite farmer from the market, Carl, (who’s farm is certified Naturally Grow in PA) gave us a bunch of seconds (produce that is bruised or blemished, not pretty enough to sell but usually still delicious after a few spots have been cut away) and so Ona & I talked about how smoothies were a great way to use seconds or even fruit that has been bruised or is going bad at home.

Fruit Smoothies
1 C ice cubes
1 C fresh fruit (berries, peaches, bananas, etc)
1/2 C milk (or soy milk)
1/4 C Yogurt (plain or vanilla)
1 Tbsp Honey

Add ingredients in a blender and puree until smooth.

Usually our technology for this class is limited to the portable gas burner and so we felt pretty adventurous breaking into the realms of a blender powered by a generator (kindly given to us by Virginia, one of the women in charge of the market). What seemed to be ice jamming the blender turned out to be the generator just not having enough power to blend anything! So Ona walked somewhere and found an outlet to blend everything together. She came back a few minutes later with delicious smoothies!

I was unsure where Ona went since I was preoccupied making a blackberry sauce that would later be used to top the pancakes. This is a sauce that I throw together pretty often making pancakes or waffles, and I usually use whatever berries I have on hand (strawberries, raspberries, or blueberries work very well in this recipe too. And while I’ve never tried it, I have no doubt a mixture of all of them would be great!)

Berry Sauce
1 pint blackberries berries
1/3 C brown sugar
3 Tbsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp water
1 1/2 tsp cornstarch (or 1 Tbsp flour)

Mix berries, sugar, and lemon juice in a pot and heat over medium heat for a few minutes, until the juice starts to come out of the berries. In a small bowl, whisk in water to corn starch and mix into berry mixture. Cook over heat for a minute or two to allow sauce to thicken.

Once the sauce was done, I took it off the burner and got started on the pancake mix. Instead of using a plain mix, I figured it would be fun and more nutritious to make multigrain pancakes. I threw this recipe together from the Joy of Cooking and a few I found online.

Multi-grain Pancakes
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/3 cup quick cook oats
1/3 cup yellow cornmeal
1/3 cup flour
2 t baking powder
1/4 t baking soda
1/4 t salt
2 cups milk
2 eggs
2 T apple sauce (or vegetable oil)
2 T honey
1 t vanilla

Mix first seven ingredients in a medium bowl.

In a large bowl, whisk together buttermilk, eggs, butter, honey and vanilla.

Add dry ingredients; mix well. Heat a large frying pan over medium heat. Spray with cooking spray.

When pan is quite hot, pour in 1/4-1/3 cup batter. Cook until bubbles pop, flip and cook until brown.

While the pancakes were cooking, Ona gave a lesson on healthy drinks and the dangers of soda, Gatorade, etc. She did a demonstration in which she held up different beverage packages (a Pepsi bottle, Gatorade bottle, and a Starbucks cup). For each, Ona would ask the class participants to guess how much sugar is in each of these drinks. She would then pull out sugar packets totally the amount of actual sugar found in these drinks all taped together. Needless to say, people were shocked and sickened to see just how much sugar is actually in these drinks! Its one think to see the amount of grams on the back of a label, but to physically see just how much sugar is in a drink is quite another thing! Ona continued by talking about the benefits of drinking water, so as not to get too many empty calories and sugar from all of these drinks.

Then we ate! The pancakes were a hit and the blackberry sauce lasted no longer than a few minutes! I was happily surprised that the pancakes weren’t as heavy and dense as I expected from a multi-grain batter.

Unfortunately, I had to say our goodbyes to the class participants, Ona, and Batina. The OFL class has truly been an incredible and invaluable experience for me. I am so thankful that I was given the opportunity to volunteer this summer by doing what I love and sharing my passion for food with others. I found that I learned a lot about nutrition from the classes and I learned how to cook in front of others. Most importantly, I was able to see malnutrition first-hand in my community while hopefully creating a sense of empowerment within the people we talked to, showing how they can create healthy and affordable meals for themselves and their famines, while using fresh, local (and hopefully organic as much as possible!) produce. I hope that when I return to DC at the end of February, I will be able to continue volunteering with OFL and the food bank, and hopefully teach this same class at the market again!

No comments: