Sunday, February 1, 2009

Mango Lassi Frozen Yogurt & Rosemary Bread

Tonight, I am having some co-workers over for the Superbowl (which is really one big excuse to play Settlers of Catan...a party I entitled "SuperSettlers!") There was a request to make ice cream, so I started brainstorming for some new ideas. I realized I had never tried to make frozen yogurt and then I realized that one of my favorite things ever is mango lassis! I can't believe I never thought of it before!! It is really spectacular, and takes a significantly less amount of time than ice cream (and is significantly healthier)

Mango Lassi Frozen Yogurt
2 ripe mangoes
2 Cups plain yogurt
1/2 Cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp cardamom

Blend the mangoes with a little bit of water. Mix with the other ingredients, chill in the fridge, and freeze in an ice cream maker for 10-15 minutes.

Thats it! And it's so good! Although I would go a little bit less on the cardamom since it is such a strong spice and stands out a little more than I would have liked.

I also decided to make my favorite bread, a wonderful rosemary bread that I used for my first attempt at bread making a few years ago. Some of you might have tried this already since I've made it for a few dinner parties. This recipe is incredible and will give you a really light, soft bread.

Rosemary Bread
1 tablespoon yeast
1 tablespoon sugar
1 cup warm water
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons rosemary
2 tablespoons olive oil

1. Place yeast, sugar and water in large bowl or food processor and allow mixture to become bubbly.
2. Mix in 1 T olive oil, salt, and 2 cups of flour.
3. Add one tablespoon of the fresh chopped rosemary.
4. Knead for about 10 minutes by hand or in food processor about 5 minutes until smooth and elastic.
5. Add more flour if necessary.
6. Oil a bowl, put dough in it and cover with a towel.
7. Let dough rise in a warm place for one hour until doubled.
8. Punch down dough and divide in half.
9. Let dough rest about 5 minutes.
10. Spray baking pan or cookie sheet with cooking spray.
11. Shape the dough into 2 small rounded oval loaves.
12. Sprinkle remaining 1 Tablespoon of rosemary over the loaves and press lightly into the surface.
13. Let loaves rise again until doubled, about 45 minutes.
14. Preheat oven to 375° F.
15. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until lightly browned.
16. Carefully remove from oven, brush with remaining olive oil and sprinkle sea salt.

I usually don't separate the dough into two portions. I usually have one big ball and bake it free form. Today, I decided to bake it in a bread pan so we can use it for roasted veggie sandwiches!

This recipe has never failed, I highly reccomend it! It was originally based on the wonderful bread from Macarroni Grill, but I think this is even better!

Go Arizona! (?)

2 comments:

Julie said...

Thanks for the bread recipe. I substitute the flour with sprouted spelt flour from Shiloh Farms as it digests as a veggie. The bread tasted amazing!

Aaron said...

Eric! I'm going to try your bread recipe as one of my first baking experiences! I'll let you know how it goes!