Thursday, July 24, 2008

Ginger Snap Ice Cream

After my semi-failed attempt at peach cobbler ice cream I had to get right back into making a new batch since I had some cream & milk that needed to get used before going bad. Ginger snap had been recommended as a potential flavor and while I usually think of ginger snaps and ginger bread as more of a winter flavor I figured I’d give it a try.

As always, I started with the French Vanilla recipe from JOY and added things to it to make this batch of ice cream.

French Vanilla Ice Cream (aka, the base to every ice cream I ever make)
2 C heavy whiping cream
1 C whole milk
2 egg yolks
3/4 C sugar
1/8 tsp. salt
1 tsp vanilla

After the custard was fully chilled (read below to the post entitled I Love Ice Cream More Than Words Can Say to get a full description of the custard-making process) I started by adding the spices. I found a recipe online that seemed similar to what I was going for and so I started by adding the recommended amount of cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger but found that this was not nearly as flavorful as I was hoping for, so I just added tons and tons until the flavor seemed right. I also added freshly ground cloves to the mix.

Two minutes before the ice cream was done churning, I added crushed up ginger snap cookies. A handful of the best store-bought ginger snaps I have ever tasted were donated to me by Sally. They taste like real ginger and are incredibly crisp. I was worried that they would be too hard, but the cream softened them up a great deal and they scoop out easily with the ice cream.

The ginger snap ice cream turned out very well and I will be sure to make it again, regardless of the season.



Does anybody have recommendations for the next ice cream flavor? I am thinking bananas foster but am open to ideas!

1 comment:

Sally said...

That ice cream was so good I actually cried a little.