Monday, July 21, 2008

The Past Week

I haven't had time to post in a week but I have been able to squeeze in a little bit of cooking. I should mention that the peach cobbler ice cream tasted quite good but the texture…horribly icy and I’m not sure why. I think the peaches weren’t ripe enough or something, but I will definitely be trying again.

On Wednesday night, Rose and I had some leftover gnocchi to finish off so she made an incredible sauce out of ricotta, half-and-half, white wine, rosemary, and some other herbs. We made it up on the spot and there is no recipe, but it was delicious. We also made an omelet with tomato, mozzarella, and basil (possibly my favorite combination of foods ever, and one we throw together in one form or another at least once a week). Thursday was homemade pizzas with my fellow interns topped with tons of veggies while watching Clueless. The dough was from Trader Joe’s, which saved a few hours of waiting for it to rise, plus it had herbs & garlic in it, and you can rarely go wrong with herbs and garlic. Friday night I just sautéed veggies in tons of garlic and tossed it with whole-wheat pasta and feta.

Saturday morning was my second OFL class at the farmers market. At first no one was showing up and we were unsure if we were even going to go through with the class. Eventually a few people did show and we decided to start since we were there and had all the produce ready. This week’s lesson was on fruits and vegetables. I first made a corn & black bean salsa with the below recipe that I compiled from a few different ones I found online:

Corn & Black Bean Salsa
1 can black beans, rinsed
1 1/2 C corn kernels (about 4 ears)
1/4 C onion, finely chopped
1/2 C red bell pepper,chopped
2 Tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
4 Tbsp olive oil
Salt and Pepper, to taste

Drain and rinse the black beans in a colander. Cut fresh corn off the cob. Finely chop onion, pepper, and cilantro. Add all ingredients into a bowl; add salt & pepper to taste. Mix together with olive oil. For best taste, let sit covered in the fridge for at least an hour, but can be eaten immediately.

Since we don’t have a fridge, we let the salsa sit until the end of the lesson for the flavors to combine. I next made a “fruit salsa,” which was actually a fruit salad. I had a recipe but everyone forgot to print it out, so we just added everything we had: a few peaches, a mango, a few golden kiwis, papaya, blueberries, and a pineapple. We topped it all with a splash of orange juice and honey.

The two salsas were eaten at the end of the lesson, and they seemed to be a hit. I think the veggie salsa needed some more salt and cumin but besides that everything was delicious. Below are a few pictures taken by my fellow foodie intern, Julie (one amazing food photographer, by the way)





Unfortunately, only one person from the first week showed up to the class so much of the time was spent reviewing what we did the prior week (the food pyramid, whole grains). Even so, the people did show up seemed to learn some and enjoyed themselves. We decided to try one more class next week and determine if we finish out the last two weeks. The classes are meant to be a comprehensive nutrition cooking class and if people only show up for one or two classes they do not get the entire message and we have to spend time going back over everything we’ve already discussed. I mentioned that I am up for staying with the class as long as Operation Frontline wishes to keep it going. So we shall see how this Saturday goes.

Right after the class Rose and I went to Rehoboth beach! By far the most relaxing and amazing weekend I have had in a long time. On Sunday morning, Rose’s aunt made French toast for breakfast and so we caramelized peaches to put on top. To do this we melt some butter and mix in brown sugar, cinnamon, and a dash of nutmeg and cooked the peaches in this deliciously unhealthy mixture for a few minutes. So good.

Be on the lookout this week for a new ice cream (maybe bananas foster or ginger snap) and anything else I can think up! If anyone is reading and has an awesome recipe you should share it ☺ I will also try to start taking more pictures of the food to share with everyone!

No comments: