Friday, April 10, 2009

Maztzah Dal Soup! (Happy (?) Passover!)

Hey friends. Sorry for the slowing of posts recently. My work at the National Family Farm Coalition has been keeping me super busy. Plus, last weekend was my sister's wedding so I was in Baltimore for a bit. (Awesome food-filled weekend, I might add!)

With NFFC, my main responsibility is conducting a survey of farmers throughout the country to help identify barriers to local food marketing, credit & discrimination issues, and mentoring programs. I have conducted almost 50 surveys over the phone and they have been going well. I am almost done with the calls and analysis will soon follow.

I was unfortunately not able to go up to Baltimore for passover seder Wednesday night. I still wanted to honor my people's freedom from enslavement by those Egyptions *shakes fist* While in Tucson, Amy and Ami visited for a weekend and Ami told me of one of the most brilliant creations I have ever heard of. Matzah Dal soup!! It not only is an incredibly clever name, it also sounded like a delicious idea.

So on the first night of passover I decided to make Matzah Dal soup (also as a way to blend both my and Noopur's cultures together since we are roomies!) 

I mixed a recipe for lentil soup from the Moosewood Cookbook and a recipe from Noopur's mom. I won't reproduce the recipe here because I dont know the english name of some of the spices, and since I kind of threw things together. I boiled the lentils, added in onion, garlic, carrots, and spices, and cooked the matzah balls in the whole concoction.

The soup turned out alright. I think next time I'll use veggie stock instead of water as the recipe called for, and stick more closely to the actual indian dal soup recipe. Plus, the matzah balls soaked up tons of the water as it was cooking so I needed to keep adding more water.

Either way, happy passover and easter!!! I hope everyone eats amazing food (which pretty much means no passover food...)


No comments: