Sunday, March 29, 2009

Apple Cinnamon Scones

Tonight, there was another potluck and I decided to make apple cinnamon scones. I had some extra apples on hand from the market and a random desire to make scones, so this recipe seemed like a great idea. I found this recipe off my favorite recipe website ever, allrecipes.com
Apple Cinnamon Scones

Ingredients

* 2 cups all-purpose flour
* 1/4 cup white sugar
* 2 teaspoons baking powder
* 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 cup butter, chilled
* 1 apple - peeled, cored and shredded
* 1/2 cup milk
* 2 tablespoons milk
* 2 tablespoons white sugar
* 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Directions

1. Measure flour, sugar, baking powder, soda, and salt into a large bowl. Cut in butter or margarine until crumbly. Add shredded apple and milk. Stir to form a soft dough.
2. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead gently 8 to 10 times. Pat into two 6-inch circles. Place on greased baking sheet. Brush tops with milk, and sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon. Score each into 6 pie-shaped wedges.
3. Bake at 425 degrees F (220 degrees C) for 15 minutes, or until browned and risen. Serve warm with butter.

The scones turned out pretty well. I decreased the milk amount from the recipe and had to add a bit of extra flour to make the dough right. They are a little cakeier than I like my scones and could use a little more apple flavor to them. But overall I think they are pretty tasty. It would be worth playing around with this recipe!

No comments: