Sunday, March 8, 2009

Back in Action (with cookies and ice cream)

I have finally returned to a somewhat state of calm. I moved back to DC two weeks ago and was in training for the fellowship the whole time. The training is coming to a close and my policy site placement with the National Family Farm Coalition begins on Thursday. While my work plan is likely to be flexible, my main task is to research barriers to local marketing for farmers. I am thrilled to be placed at NFFC, the staff I've met so far seem amazing and I think I will learn a lot from them!

I asked Noopur (my new housemate!! yay!!) what the first batch of ice cream for our new apartment should be and she unhesitatingly said cookie dough. I had made vegan cookie dough ice cream before (that tasted an unfortunate amount like tofu...for obvious reasons) but never a dariy-full version. I was hesitant to make cookie dough with egg since I've been training to never trust raw egg (even though I eat cookie dough all the time), so I found the below recipe from my favorite vegetarian/vegan cooking website and used butter instead of oil (the same amount, at room temperate), since butter tastes better in cookies than oil in my opinion.

http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=6391.0

All but one cup of the dough I actually baked into cookies and the rest I rolled into little pieces for the ice cream. I made the basic french vanilla ice cream, churned it, and put the dough pieces in at the end. Awesome.

We also made cold brewed coffee to use for ice coffee this morning. This recipe is from the NYT

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/27/dining/276drex.html?_r=1

(sorry for just posting links instead of the recipes, I figure instead of just copying and pasting the links would suffice since I didn't make any major changes worthy of notice)

Edit: my previous post said my soughdough starter has survived the past 6 months...lets just say it is in ICU right now and I am trying my hardest to keep it alive! More updates on that to come...

Back to regular posts. Thanks for all your patience!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

If i'm making cookie dough just for eating I usually just leave out the egg and maybe put a little water in it. But you pretty much can't go wrong with cookie dough.

bonnie veblen said...

that was nom nom nom-y vegan chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream! It was a little tofu-y but not too too bad.

Yayyyyy ice creams! and lots of get well soon wishes for your sourdough starter.