Sunday, December 21, 2008

Peppermint Bark Ice Cream

It was about a year ago that I bought my ice cream maker and made my first batch of ice cream! The flavor was peppermint bark and little did I know the long and crazy path of ice cream making I was getting myself into! I had some cream and milk left from my last batch and needed to use it up and decided it would be a nice yearly/holiday tradition to make peppermint bark ice cream every year around this time! My first attempt I used store-bought bark but today I decided to make my own peppermint bark!

Peppermint bark is usually quite expensive, and you can save a good amount by making it yourself! Plus, it makes a beautiful holiday gift :)

Peppermint Bark 1 bag (11.5 oz) of white chocolate chips 1 bag (11.5 oz) of dark chocolate chips (i used bittersweet, 60% cacao) 1 tsp peppermint extract 6 oz peppermint candies

1. Melt the dark chocolate over a double boiler. (To do this, heat a pot of water to a simmer and place another metal pot that fits on top but does not touch the water on top. This will prevent the chocolate from burning as it tends to do over direct heat) Pour the dark chocolate chips in and stir until completely melted. Add 1 tsp peppermint extract.
2. Pour the melted dark chocolate into a pan covered with wax or parchment paper and spread evenly. Place this in the fridge until hard, about 15-20 minutes.
3. While the dark chocolate cools, crush the peppermint candies in a plastic bag with a hammer or other blunt object. I used a meat-tenderizer...what else would I use it for!?
4. Melt the white chocolate over a double boiler and pour on top of the completely hardened dark chocolate. Top with the crushed peppermint candy and let chill in the fridge for at least an hour. Once hardened completely, take out of the fridge, lift out of the tray with the wax paper and break up into desired size pieces!






The night before I made a custard for a basic french vanilla ice cream (recipe is on this blog at least 10 times so I wont repeat it!) After chilling overnight, I churned and added crushed up peppermint bark during the last minute of churning. It then went into the freezer for at least 4 hours before I was able to enjoy it!


Tonight is the first night of Hannukah, so be on the lookout for some good ol' jewish recipes! I have a few ideas up my sleeve!

Happy Holidays everyone!!!

No comments: