Sunday, December 21, 2008

Sweet Potato Latkes

Remember that time the Jews beat the Romans? That one time? Hell yeah! We take what we can get and celebrate like hell because of it! Hanukkah is that special time of year where Jewish people around the world fry anything they can get their hands on! I guess the logic is, since there isn't a scarcity of oil to light our lamps like back in the day, we should fully utilize our stock...because we can.

This is my first Hanukkah away from both my family and friends and so I wanted to make a special meal to remind me of everyone I love back at home.

Note: I hate frying. I hate it more than words can say. But there really is no other way to make latkes, so I sucked it up and, surprisingly, walked away burn free!!

Sweet Potato Latkes
(from the Moosewood Cookbook, except they call them pancakes...gentiles)

4 Cups shredded sweet potato (I only needed one large potato, but 2 mediums would work)
3 Tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp salt
black pepper, to taste
4 beaten eggs
1/3 C flour (i added a few pinches since my batter seemed a little watery)
Apple Sauce

1. Combine the ingredients in a large bowl and mix well.
2. Heat a small amount of oil (i used too much...) on a skillet until very hot. It is ready when a small dollop of batter sizzles)
3. Use a spoon to scoop out and form thin pancakes.
4. Fry in oil on both sides until golden brown.
5. Let sit on a paper towel to drain excess oil.

Eat with apple sauce and enjoy! There are some of the best latkes I've ever had, I hope you like them too!!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the recipe, Eric! These sound delicious...I might make some today just for fun (even though it's well-past the holiday season).

Hope all is well :)

Anna said...

My family and I made latkes in December when our heat was broken. They were so warming and filling, exactly what we needed when the temperature was dropping like whoa. It was so chilly that I was hesitant to put sour cream and apple sauce on my latkes. Then I realized that I value tasty-ness over comfort :)

I hope you are well...did you get my letter?

em said...

I'm so proud of you using sweet taters! Paula would be so pleased :)